Re: OLE and WinHelp

Subject: Re: OLE and WinHelp
From: Glen Accardo <Glen_Accardo -at- LBMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 07:27:05 LCL

Ron Miller <RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM> writes:

> That said, I used the Execprogram macro to run Word and open a document; no
> problem. The problem is that their end users will have Word in a different
> location--some locally on a hard drive, while others on a network with
> different network drives possible--so I can't be sure where Word (or the
> other executables) will reside or if it is in their path statement already
> (which apparently is unlikely).

> So, we were wondering if you could create an OLE link so that the system
> determines the file type automatically and simply runs the program.

Before you try hiring a programmer, check out another Windows API
call: ShellExecute. Provided Word was properly installed on each system,
you should be able to use ShellExecute to "open" any file with the .DOC
extension automatically.

Just use the WinHelp RegisterRoutine macro to define ShellExecute
as a macro, then use it at will.

Glen Accardo (713) 625-9367
Technical Writer glen_accardo -at- lbms -dot- com
LBMS, Inc.

Did the Corinthians ever write back?