Binhex Woes Resolved

Subject: Binhex Woes Resolved
From: Giselle Weiss <gweiss -at- CAMTWH -dot- ERIC -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:24:20 -0400

Sincere thanks to Samantha Alper, Dan Azlin, Geoff Hart,
Richard Mateosian, Suzanne Townsend, and Tommy Trussell for
being so quick to help with my Binhex woes. The problem I had
was decoding on my IBM PC-compatible machine a Mac-Binhex-
encoded document sent as an e-mail attachment. A few people
asked if I would post the solution to the list.

The problem was the client's, as many people suggested. In
fact, he had already figured it out by his second attempt,
which I didn't realize because (1) PC Binhex sent me a
confusing message on conversion that I interpreted as failure;
(2) the program flung the converted file to a drive where I
didn't think to look; (3) it retrieved the file's original
name, which I wasn't expecting.

The trick was to be sure the client's *mail* program was set
to send attached files as plain text. It seems logical, until
you get the hang of it, to choose "binary" instead; but since
the point of Binhex is to convert formatted text to plain text
to get it over the wires, telling your mail program you're
sending a "binary" or "MSWord" or whatever file just gums up
the works. The restored file was gorgeous--formatting, editing
trail, all intact.

Thanks everyone.

gw

Giselle Weiss
gweiss -at- camtwh -dot- eric -dot- on -dot- ca