Subject: Summary: Where to Find RTF Specs
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:07:26 EDT

Here is a summary of responses to my question, where is the spec for RTF (rich
text format)? Thanks to all who responded, including Tim Altom, Bruce Michelsen,
and
Arlen Walker who sent the spec itself. Following are the messages that point to
sources.

From: mnj -at- ornl -dot- gov (Bonnie Nestor)
Subject: SGML converters

--------
Susan,

Check out the Web page

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Tools/html2things.html

which has a section on SGML tools. Good luck!

Bonnie Nestor
mnj -at- ornl -dot- gov

------------------

Hi Susan,

the RTF spec you're looking for can be found at Microsoft's ftp site (search
for: GC0165.EXE, a self-extracting archive). It is also available on the MS
Developer's Network CD-ROM. However, if you're changing only three tags, you
might want to try and save a file as RTF and then view the ASCII code...

Klaus Muller

Technical Writer
Object Technolgy Deutschland GmbH
Bergstr. 106b, D-65137 Pfungstadt

writing at 10:53 (CET), on 25.10.95

[This is a good suggestion. I started by looking at an RTF file, then decided
I'd
prefer some help decoding it rather than back-engineering the code myself. I.e.,
I'm
too lazy, or too busy. --SLF]

------------------

Susan,

Try the Microsoft annonymous FTP site (ftp.micosoft.com) - they used to keep
the RTF specification on there. Sorry, I cannot remember the file name but
if you download the index file you will probably be able find it. Be warned,
the RTF spec. is a fairly long document.

Good luck...

Ian Macdonald Voice: (03) 452 7553
24C Jalan Ampang Hilir Fax: (03) 453 2910
55000, Kuala Lumpur email: imacd -at- pc -dot- jaring -dot- my
Malaysia

------------------

Susan,

The new Help Authoring Guide, contained within the help file for HCW.EXE,
the Winhelp 4.0 compiler, has a long section on RTF. It's available with
any Windows 95 help authoring package.

The Microsoft Developer Network CDs also have the complete RTF specification.

I believe, therefore, that you'd be able to access Microsoft's web site or
ftp site and download the file.

Try: http://www.microsoft.com and run a search on RTF.

Good luck!

James

-----------------------+-------------------------+--------------------------
James Hom Voice: 408-526-8956
cisco Systems Email: jhom -at- cisco -dot- com
-----------------------+-------------------------+--------------------------

[The search page URL is http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/technet.htm?GC0165.EXE
--
SLF]

------------------

everything you ever wanted to know about RTF, and WEREN'T afraid to ask !
Here's the URL to take you right there:

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/RichTextFormat/RTF.txt
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====
Mark Merkow, CCP mmerkow -at- imap1 -dot- asu -dot- edu
Sr. Software Engineer mmerko -at- amex-trs -dot- com
Graduate Program
Decision and Information Systems - College of Business
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====

From: mnj -at- ornl -dot- gov (Bonnie Nestor)

--------

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====
Mark Merkow, CCP mmerkow -at- imap1 -dot- asu -dot- edu
Sr. Software Engineer mmerko -at- amex-trs -dot- com
Graduate Program
Decision and Information Systems - College of Business
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====

Thanks again!