WWW discussion (long vs short)

Subject: WWW discussion (long vs short)
From: Wineke Schoo <w -dot- schoo -at- NOLDUS -dot- NL>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:03:20 +0000

Dear colleagues,

As a young company we are planning to get ourselves a site at the
World Wide Web. But after a restricted, internal investigation we
found out that many of our collegues think differently about the
realization of it, in particular about the length of the various
texts. In short, regarding to this, there roughly are two very
conflicting opinions:

The first group is convinced that it is usual on the WWW to enter
brochure texts integrally, in an unshortened form. This means
using the existing brochure text and translate it to HTML texts.
They think Web surfers will make a printout if they find it too
long to read it on screen.

The second group is convinced that WWW texts have to be easily readable
and in a restricted length. They think the WWW is a complementary
medium and that it will never completely replace the printed media.

I'd like to know how other companies think (or act) about this.
How do you vote?

1. Use brochure texts integrally, in an unshortened form. Advise
people to make printouts if it is too LONG to read on
screen.

2. Use easily readable texts, especially adapted for WWW in a restricted
length.

3. Otherwise, specifically:

I am looking forward to your opinion. Any other WWW suggestions are
very welcome indeed.

With kind regards,

Wineke Schoo
Wineke Schoo (Consultant)