Demographics of Tech Writers

Subject: Demographics of Tech Writers
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:13:15 GMT

Lois asks:

-> In the tech writing field is it generally considered more desirable to
-> entrench oneself within a company for the long haul or to work toward total
-> self-employment?

It all depends on the person. Having done the self-employment route in
another line of business, I'd rather be working for someone else doing
what I enjoy. It gives me the freedom I'm looking for -- freedom from
having to deal with accounting, marketing my services, collecting
accounts, and so on. I'm lucky -- I work for a great company where I can
play a meaningful part in the development of some really cool products.
I pick up a paycheck twice a month, and someone else gets to deal with
the business aspects of the job. Perfect.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500