Re: Numbering

Subject: Re: Numbering
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 06:30:47 MST

Apparently, not all Data Item Descriptions (DID) are created
equal. Loren said

> A simple way to satisfy everybody is to write a paragraph like this:

> 2.2 Non-Government documents. None.

> I would do this only if I had to provide a paragraph 2.3 to satisfy a
> requirement in the DID.

I'm looking at a DID for a software requirements specification
and an item in block 10 under Content and Format Instructions,
says

"In the event that a paragraph or subparagraph has been tailored
out, a statement to that effect shall be added directly
following the heading of each such (sub)paragraph. If a
paragraph and all of its subparagraphs are tailored out, only
the highest level paragraph heading need be included."

This particular DID has an approval date of 880229; I have no
idea if it's still current. The point is, however, that
government documentation is sorely inconsistent and we can't
generalize a rule based on a single, "typical" DID.

Bev Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil

Here's the rest of Loren's message:
Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL> wrote-->
(...background snipped...)