Re: Numbering

Subject: Re: Numbering
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:31:33 PST

My rule of thumb for numbering goes like this:

First, assume that there are no section numbers. Lay out the section
with major, minor, and subheads according to the flow of discussion in
the section.

Then stick the numbers back in, and let them fall where they may.

This preserves the internal logical structure of the document, which
I think is important, and completely ignores tech pubs numerology.
This is to my taste. I have other things to fret about than the
best way to damage the structure of a document in order to comply
with numbering rules.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841