The Technical Writer's Freelancing

Subject: The Technical Writer's Freelancing
From: Jim Bersie <Jbersie -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 19:27:04 -0500

Peter Kent's writing his book is out of print was excellent timing because I
am writing a chapter newsletter article suggesting readers get the book if
serious about contracting. I will not loan my copy until it is back in print!

If I had to suggest one topic to add it would be updating information on IRS
Code Paragraph 1706 and Regulation Ruling 87-44, both regarding tests as to
whether an independent contractor is a company employee in disguise. The
ruling is soon to be condensed, a lawyer said last week.

I have only ran into this once in the past six years, but several lawyers say
that I will run into it more. It cost me $10 off my hourly rate at one
assignment. It sounds like to be safe, we are going to have to look and act
more like consultants. Thank you for your book, Peter.

Jim Bersie