Re: New virus by email - List Policy

From: Eric Ray <Eric -dot- Ray -at- WCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:07:34 PST

Dick,
This is precisely why it isn't appropriate for TECHWR-L.
Good Times is a HOAX, bordering on urban legend.
It was a hoax each of the last five times
that the argument on the list started. It's somewhat (but
not much) more plausable in its current incarnation,
but it JUST CANNOT HAPPEN. BTW, an "infinite binary
loop," if it were to occur, could be
fixed by hitting the off switch on the computer.

Virus announcements are NOT appropriate for TECHWR-L. Tech whirlers
who are concerned about viruses and the like should educate themselves,
sign up for a virus/computer security announcement list, and/or purchase
monthly updates from an anti-virus software vendor.

FWIW, I don't read virus newsgroups either, but don't lose sleep
about them--I scan all disks I use, find and remove the
occasional virus, and don't stress about it.

Back to the regular program--direct discussion about this
message to me off-list. Just to reiterate: Virus announcements
are NOT appropriate for TECHWR-L.

Thanks!
Eric

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995 10:46:00 PST Dimock, Dick wrote:
>Eric, I think this affects us all. Most of us don't hang around any
virus
>Lists
>or newsgroups.

>I just received an urgent virus alert from my company, a vicious one
that
>propagates by email. That means US!

>Text follows.

>Please do not read any mail messages with the subject
>"Good Times" it may contain a virus. Just delete the message.

Remainder of hoax deleted.

Eric J. Ray | Eric -dot- Ray -at- wcom -dot- com
WorldCom, Inc. | W: 918-588-4140
1 Williams Center 29-5 | F: 918-588-2372
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74172 | P: 918-690-1314
Web: http://www.wcom.com/