Re: non engineering writing

Subject: Re: non engineering writing
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 13:28:07 -0400

Mike Stiles <mstiles -at- CYMBAL -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU> wrote:

>I would like to hear from tech writers, if there are any out there, in the
>life sciences/ecology/archaeology fields. What kinds of firms employ
>writers in these fields? What kinds of documents do these firms
>generate?

For the last couple of years, I've been working primarily on life sciences
material. My clients (and types of activity for each) have been:

Large corporations:
# wall charts summarizing medical laboratory tests (design/research/write)
# user manuals for a lab information system (write)

Professional practices:
# patient information brochures for a group medical practice
(design/research/write/produce)
# article for professional journal (edit)

Not-for-profit agencies:
# study guides for medically-related exhibits at a historical museum
(design/research/write)
# newsletter for an environmental organization (design/edit)
# bibliographies, study guides, and displays for a public library
(design/reasearch/write)

There are LOTS of non-engineering opportunities out there. It just takes a
little digging to find them --- and convince the appropriate managers to
hire a professional writer/designer instead of leaving the project to a
spare secretary or administrative assistant. And, since many of the
projects are for smaller organizations, the $$$ isn't always as good. The
advantages are variety and exceptionally interesting subject matter.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com