Re. Using software your clients propose

Subject: Re. Using software your clients propose
From: Peter Kent <71601 -dot- 1266 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:38:23 EST

> == Timothy Schablin reported that he lost a potential contract
> because he lacked a copy of software that the client
> demanded, and asked for advice.==
> >
> And if you _haven't_ used the program? If your client asks if you can use
it,
> and you know you can quickly learn how to use it, say "yes." It's not a
lie,
> after all. (Now I'll get my head down and wait for the flak.)

Just make sure that you are confident that you can learn it quickly. We
got caught with a contractor who said she could and didn't. That ruins
your credibility.<<

Yes, absolutely. Don't make any idle promises. But if you are sure you can
learn it, say yes. A few years ago a friend of mine almost lost a job because
she didn't know how to use Samna, a middle of the road word processor. I told
her to say she knew how to use it, she learned it in an afternoon, and the
client was never the wiser.

Peter Kent

LeeAnn Smith
Spillman Data Systems lsmith -at- spillman -dot- com ******************************