Re: If it's not UNIX...

Subject: Re: If it's not UNIX...
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 12:22:12 PST

> UNIX is the correct
> word to use when referring generically to Solaris, HP-UX, etc. because
> they are all flavors of UNIX. I have been documenting UNIX-based
> software for seven years, and I reguarly use the word UNIX generically.

>All that proves is you don't care (or don't know) about trademark law; it h
>as no bearing on the issue of whether it is proper to do so.

What ARE you talking about, Arlen? If you can't call a properly licensed
UNIX operating system "UNIX," what can you call "UNIX"? Neither AT&T
Bell Labs nor their licensees (Sun, BSD, et al) hesitated to call these
operating systems "UNIX." Why should we?

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841