What is a 'cookie' in magnetics manufacturing?

Subject: What is a 'cookie' in magnetics manufacturing?
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 08:35:26 -0500

Someone on the translators' list sent in this question. It's one that has
been nagging at me, too.

Can anyone offer help?

Thanks in advance!

Joanna

-------------------enclosed message below----------------------------

>Can anybody please explain to me what a "cookie" refers to in the
>context of magnetic tape and/or disk manufacturing? I know that
>'cookie' and 'magic cookie' are used in Internet parlance to denote
>certain kinds of token files and return codes, but what I am looking
>for is a real tangible 'hardware' cookie, possibly the magnetic layer
>on a floppy disk, or magnetic tape at a certain stage during its
>manufacture.

>Any leads are appreciated.

I've heard "magic cookie" used (in the production of software for testing
SSA adapter cards) as a substitute for the word "semaphore". Is that correct?