Learning C

Subject: Learning C
From: "Diane K. Ritchey" <dritchey -at- OCV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 09:53:20 -0800

in itself. However, I wonder why the boss is pushing the
tech writers to learn it. Will there be C programming responsibilities
in the future? Telephony scripting responsibilities?

I hope not.

For me, I learned how to program early in my career and HATED IT.
So, to add a responsibility to my writing job (after the fact) really
bugs me.

If I were Jane, I would eagerly spend the company's money for training,
but would be hesitant to sign up for programming responsibilities
(unless Jane was truly interested in becoming a programmer).

I would also be disinclined to be forced to read code to figure out
how a program works. I'd rather rely on interviews with developers,
playing with the program, and talking with customer support reps who
hear about problems in the field. But then, I'm not a programming
kind of gal.

Diane Ritchey
Lead Technical Writer
On Command Video Corp.