Translation questions

Subject: Translation questions
From: "Diane K. Ritchey" <dritchey -at- OCV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:24:42 -0800

Hi all. I've been tasked with developing a project plan
to translate some of our user manuals (not all) into formal
Spanish for our new market in Spain. I'd like to hear your
suggestions or experiences with handling multilingual documents
(any language). Specifically, I'd like your thoughts/recommendations
on the following:

o do you provide separate part #s for English vs. Other Language books?

o do you treat the Other Language books as separate entities from
then on (with separate production cycles)? or do you consider
translation as just one more phase of document production?

o do you find maintaining books in languages other than your own
native language significantly more time-consuming?

o any thoughts on how long translation time takes [per 100 pg segments]
(as a percentage of production time--obviously the precise time
must come from the translator)?

o any pitfalls/horror stories you'd care to relate?

Your comments would be most appreciated. I will summarize responses
and post to the list if interest warrants.

Thanks.

Diane Ritchey
Technical Writing Supervisor
On Command Video