Re[2]: Writing internships?

Subject: Re[2]: Writing internships?
From: ROBERT SIDMAN <sidmanr -at- MCHFMCCM -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:42:10 EST

Dr. Jim Lenze wrote:
<snip>
> I wouldn't, however, think it was so valuable that I would require
> my students to take an unpaid internship.

If an internship is required for graduation, and it should be, there is no
requirement the employer pays the student. The student is there part-time
for a limited length of time to get experience, to see the real world (as
it were), to see how actual procedures vary/do not vary from what is being
tought in ivory towers.

While a Boston U. journalism student in the early 60s, my internship was
waived because of verified Army experience and I wrote for cash for the
now-defunct Boston Herald-Traveler. Others in my class had paid
internships, some unpaid. These internships were extremely valuable for
the student, to see how things were really done, and for the instructors,
because the students made sure the instructors knew of real-world
conditions and practices.

An internship is an invaluable period for the student. I'd like to see
them mandatory even if they are unpaid.

Bob
Another personal view from <robert_sidman -at- fmso -dot- navy -dot- mil>