Re: Documentation Usability/Multiple-User Design

Subject: Re: Documentation Usability/Multiple-User Design
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:19:01 MDT

Margie writes:

>I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I am trying to determine
>whether anyone has studied the methods of documentation design
>that can help writers create a layering effect so that both
>novices and experienced users (of the product or procedure) can
>access information efficiently.

I've been meaning to post something about this subject here. (Sorry this is
so late, Kelly B.)

In August, I attended Conrad Gottfredson's One-Stop Documentation seminar.
The aim of the seminar was to provide a standard approach to documentation
that would allow a writer to present start-up, training, troubleshooting, and
quick-reference information in a single document but structuring it in such a
way that it promotes accessibility, retention of information, and
self-sufficiency. I found the seminar very informative and have been applying
the methods Dr. Gottfredson presented in my online documentation (as far as it
can be applied in that medium).

Dr. Gottfredson has some pretty strong (but well-informed) opinions about
useability and about the role of documentation in training. He is very
enthusiastic and entertaining, and he uses that charisma (in addition to a
wonderful gift for storytelling) to deliver his approach. The seminar is
offered by SkillTech several times a year. If you have the opportunity, I
highly recommend it. SkillTech's number (or rather Softbank Institute's
number) is 1-800-348-7246.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce