Re: WARNING LABEL

Subject: Re: WARNING LABEL
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 10:28:13 MDT

Bob writes:

>>Book reading is a solitary and sedentary pursuit, and those who do are
>>cautioned that a book should be used as an integral part of a well-rounded
>>life, including a daily regimen of rigorous physical exercise, rewarding
>>personal relationships, and a sensible low-fat diet. A book should not be
>>used as a substitute or an excuse. ( the last sentence was italicized )

>. and the same thing might be said about e-mail and net-surfing, yes?

On a related theme (but slightly off topic), the book _Resisting Novels_
by Lennard Davis discusses the ideological implications of reading as an
activity. Interesting stuff. I think it provides a useful metaphor for
other similar activities (yep,--such as 'net surfing).

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce