[no subject]

From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:10:08 -0700

Hi Kris;

>> I have no sympathy for writers who `just want to write' -
>>but don't want to know anything about DTP.

>No sympathy wanted. And the assumption that tech writers who want to focus on
>writing don't want to know anything about DTP is incorrect. Personally, I'm
>known as a DTP guru in my circles. I just think that DTP can add value and do
>NON-WRITING tasks that remove barriers to writers delivering a quality
>product. See my post titled "Using production people...".

I am not assuming that tech writers who want to focus on writing don't
want to know anything about DTP. I assume that tech writers who want to
focus on writing to the _exclusion_ of understanding DTP - which is
precisely what one poster said - want to bake cakes without using an oven.

Like most of us, I really do "just want to write". In fact, I can't
_stand_ thinking about DTP (in general) and fonts and point sizes
(in particular). It's all a tempest in a teapot to me. Everyone shouts
and screams about it for awhile than agrees to use 10 pt Times Roman.

But understanding DTP and fonts _gives_ me the power and tools I need to
do exactly what I want - write. I don't have to _like_ dealing with fonts
and point sizes in order to _use_ fonts and point sizes as tools.

I do not just dump the issue onto DTP so I don't have to think about them.
That would take away the tools I use to create - and even I'm not _that_
stupid.

The bottom line is that I must know my tools in order to communicate. If
you don't want to put up with understanding the tools - well enough to use
them well - then get out of the kitchen.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - I don't speak for QUALCOMM, they don't speak
for me....