Monitors and radiation

Subject: Monitors and radiation
From: K Watkins <KWATKINS -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:48:00 -0300

>The conclusion: Monitors, B/W or color, operating normally or with faulty
>voltage regulators, do not produce x-rays or other ionizing radiation.

>Regards,
>Richard Wollt
>rcw1 -at- rsvl -dot- unisys -dot- com

I don't have the articles on hand any more, and my memory is fuzzy on the
subject(maybe I've been sitting in front of my monitor too long? 8-) ),
but I seem to recall that the concerns I've seen recently about monitors
have to do with elecrical ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) fields rather than
X-rays or other ionizing radiation. Whether or not you consider such fields
dangerous depends on which studies you consider reliable, but so far as I
know the presence of such fields around a turned-on monitor is not in
debate. The fields extends farthest from the back, usually about four feet;
more like two and a half from the front.

Other studies about ELF fields deal with power lines and other sources of
prolonged exposure. Heated waterbeds, electric blankets, and even electric
clocks come to mind, but not, say, toasters or microwaves. So it would
depend not only on how close to your monitor you sit, but also how long you
spend there on a regular basis.

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers