Fax back surveys -- any advice?

Subject: Fax back surveys -- any advice?
From: Kim Fawcett <kfawcett -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:17:00 DST

Hi everyone,

My department is in the process of overhauling our manual templates and
documentation processes. As part of this initiative, we want to stimulate
some customer feedback by including a fax back survey with the new
doc packs.

I'm primarily responsible for putting this survey together, but I have no
experience with this sort of thing. So does anyone out there have some
advice they could offer me? I'm specifically looking for answers to
these questions:

A) What is the optimum length for a documentation survey?
B) Can I put questions about form and content in the same survey, or
would this sort of extended survey require too much time from users?
C) Should I use yes/no type questions, good/average/bad questions,
agree/disagree questions, or what-are-your-opinions-on... questions?
D) How can we encourage users to actually fill out the forms and return
them?
E) Are there any good books, magazines, web sites, etc. that could
help me?

Just in case this matters, our products consist mainly of rugged
environment computer hardware (VME), with some supporting software.

Feel free to respond directly to me, and I'll post a summary to the list.

Thanks very much!

- Kim Fawcett
(kfawcett -at- dy4 -dot- com)

*** standard disclaimer ***