Re[2]: value of books

Subject: Re[2]: value of books
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 16:04:06 GMT

To: TECHWR-L -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu

-> That participant was an idiot. Ever try reading "Moby Dick" while
-> siting at a computer terminal?

-> =================================================================

-> Andy tasks me. "He tasks me, and I shall have him."

-> First, supporting the premise that multimedia is a quicker way
-> to share information does not qualify an individual as an idiot.

Indeed. A lot of us would prefer to have Moby Dick sung to us by a
troubador whilst seated around a campfire in the moonlit Kentish
countryside. Anachronisms and geographic anomalies notwithstanding.

Multimedia does not an idiot make. Many things do a Luddite make,
however, and it does not behoove those of us who suck at the teat of
technology to deliver gratuitous kicks and scratches to our nurturing
mother.

Remember the social upheaval cheap books caused, back in the 16th
century? Bet there were a *lot* of people who didn't like the masses
getting their grubby fingers on the sacred writings.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500