Strunk & WhIte? Ooops indeed!

Subject: Strunk & WhIte? Ooops indeed!
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 16:06:07 GMT

To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu

-> >According to Strunk and White, the correct way to create a possessive
-> >out of a proper noun ending in "s" is with "'s" (e.g., Gwen Barnes's)
-> >not simply "'" as I wrote.

-> Even Strunk & White doesn't say that this is _the correct way_. It says "Use

-> The Chicago Manual of Style (13th edition. I don't have a copy of the latest

The experimental subject would like to make a comment now <g>

I seldom get the chance to speak of myself in the third person, thus I
don't put much thought into how to address myself in the possessive
form, though I do lean towards "Gwen Barnes's" for the sake of damnable
consistency, and away from "Gwen Barnes'". I don't think we're yet at
the point where the letter "s" needs to be conserved for future
generations to appreciate in its original splendour.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500