Re: Faked message

Subject: Re: Faked message
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 17:03:24 EST

-------------------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT --------------------
Jeffrey Pittman didn't really write:

Actually, Jeffrey, it's quite easy to fake messages even if your computer
is completely secure. This message came from hundreds, maybe thousands, of
miles from your computer.

From, the phantom message faker!....

(Actually this is Peter Kent, and I _didn't_ fake the original message, I'm
just showing how easy it is to fake messages on the Internet.)

Peter Kent

This is kind of scarey. What can we do to prevent this kind of thing?
Obviously there are people who will find a way to beat nearly any
beatable system, but the faked messages thing has the potential to do a
lot of damage.

-- km