Art of the Edge?

Subject: Art of the Edge?
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- ROGUE -dot- DISCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:49:38 -0800

Scott Goodhue wrote:

This message concerns my original posting, and the subsequent

Call for Neologism:

The term "state of the art" has been used for some time to refer to
the highest level of development. In your opinion, is it hackneyed? I
posed the question once to an STC PIC a while ago and one member
suggested: "Bleeding edge." This may be too bloody for many. I
considered " the fore-running cusp" for a softer sound, but neither
terms seem adequate to me. They just don't have the ring of an
engineering feat. I've also run across "state of the edge," but it's
a mere substitution of one word for another. Any suggestions

Scott Goodhue
sgoodhue -at- disclosure -dot- com <<

The responders favored the following substitutes for "state of the
1. "Leading-edge" (greatest number of nominations)
2. "Cutting-edge" (second greatest number of nominations)
3. "State of the art" should be left "as is" (a trailing third)

I favor "serrated edge," with its associated peaks and valleys,
where leading edge technologies are connected together by lesser

Dave Meek

Previous by Author: writing own resume
Next by Author: Re: Gender Bias In Re Apostrophes Within Pr
Previous by Thread: Art of the Edge?
Next by Thread: Re: "Teaching writing"

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads