Re: R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Subject: Re: R-E-S-P-E-C-T
From: Peter Kent <71601 -dot- 1266 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:12:39 EST

>I ve bid the job at $800,000, was awarded the contract, then march off to
assemble my team of writers, graphics weenies & editors.

Referring to technical graphics communicators as weenies is a fatal
mistake.<<

Isn't everyone sensitive these days! So what if he called them weenies? It's
really no big deal. Take, for instance, the term "geek." It was originally a
derogatory term, but now is accepted as a joke term. Dave Barry even calls
himself a geek.

I have a friend who owns a medical electronics and optics business. He
sometimes talks about his "programming weenies." Actually he has a great deal
of respect for these weenies. But they are different, they have their
idiosyncrasies, and he chooses to label them as weenies. Of course "labeling
is wrong," isn't it! Though I'd bet there are few members of this list who
haven't complained about programmers now and again, or joked about their
foibles.

If he had writers, he'd probably call them his "writing weenies," and say it
to my face without any particular concern.

People these days seem to be out looking for a reason to be offended. Lighten
up!

>>"Oh, you just get to sit around and draw all day, how do I get a job like
that?"
"My little niece does cartoons, can you use them in one of our brochures?"And
so on and so on. . .<<

_Every_ job or profession has to put up with this sort of thing; writers are
often seen as glorified typists, programmers are seen as junk food junkies who
can't relate to members of the opposite sex, and how about lawyers... Doctors
are cold hearted and exploit sickness for financial gain. Police are corrupt
pigs. Barmaids are "available." Just shrug it off and go on!

>>He found a new respect for the profession; one which I hope Mr. McDonald
comes to know some day.<<

We really don't know whether Mr. McDonald respects the profession or not, as
all we have to go on is the "weenie" statement, which is open to
interpretation.

Just thought I'd come to his defense!

Peter Kent
Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information. Comments/suggestions welcome.