Re: Phantom emailer

Subject: Re: Phantom emailer
From: Peter Kent <71601 -dot- 1266 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 15:53:06 EST

>>John Wilcox wrote:
This is very curious. The following message appears to have been mailed
frommy account to my account, yet signed Gretchen. Some on this list have
saidthey know how this can be done. So how can someone else use my
accountwithout being logged in as me? The only way I know of is that they
know mypassword. Only my wife and the local sysadmins know my password. I
assur eyou I can rule out my wife as the culprit. Do you think it could be
someonewho also has an account at the same Internet service provider?

John Wilcox (bewildered, and jobless, in Seattle)---------- Forwarded message
----------Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 07:35:20 -0800 (PST)
From: John Wilcox <wilcox -at- frugal -dot- com>
To: wilcox -at- frugal -dot- com
Subject: Phantom emailer

The Phantom emailer strikes again. I have absolutely no clu ewhere this came
from. Gretchen<<

John, this is not the full header. You need to take a look at the complete
message header, which should look something like this (you e-mail program may
have a special command that displays the full header for you; otherwise talk
with your service provider):

Sender: John Wilcox <wilcox -at- frugal -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:13:09 -0700 (MST)
From: John Wilcox <wilcox -at- frugal -dot- com>
To: wilcox -at- frugal -dot- com
Subject: Phantom emailer Message-Id:
<Pine -dot- SUN -dot- 3 -dot- 91 -dot- 951205110952 -dot- 14240C-100000 -at- verdi>

Take a look at the X-Sender line; it may give you an idea of where the msg
came from.

Peter Kent
Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information. Comments/suggestions welcome.