Re: How much has tech writing increased?... verging off-topic

Subject: Re: How much has tech writing increased?... verging off-topic
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:49:26 U

Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL> comments:

> Consider postal workers. Who would ever think postal
> work was a stressful job? Yet the term "going postal"--meaning
> to go to your workplace, shotgun in hand, and shooting the place
> up--was not coined for the hell of it.

My understanding is that most of the stress in being a postal worker, gruntled
or dis-, is caused by postal management. For example, I've heard that mail
sorters and other employees actually have to get permission to leave their
workstations to use the bathroom.

The tie-in to tech writing is that the job stress is not inherent in the job
itself. And unlike postal workers, we can learn to expect last-minute changes,
slipping deadlines, changing design specs, and so on. I find that as long as I
can anticipate and plan for this sort of hassle, it's not particularly
stressful.

FWIW.

--Stacey Kahn
SKahn -at- wb -dot- com Washington, DC
speaking for myself and not for my employers