small caps and acronyms

Subject: small caps and acronyms
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:24:05 U

In a manual I'm producing, I'm setting the (many) acronyms in small caps. It
looks great-- the acronyms blend into the rest of sentence, rather than
standing out by virtue of size.

But what's the convention at the start of a sentence?

Do you (should I) "true" cap the first letter of the acronym or keep the entire
acronym small-capped and let the sentence start with the small cap? (Rewriting
isn't an option.)

Thanks.

--Stacey Kahn
SKahn -at- wb -dot- com Washington, DC
speaking for myself and not for my employers