grammar - knowing the rules to break them

Subject: grammar - knowing the rules to break them
From: Margie Monforton <MONFORTO -at- EMUVAX -dot- EMICH -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 15:10:22 -0500

some rules are not used widely anymore, we should know
them to break them...

I took a grammar course this summer in which I learned that
many of the rules of English originated in the Latin
grammatical system. The preposition at the end of the
sentence rule is one of these. In fact, then, this rule
was not formulated for our language. Early English
speakers wanted to sound "educated" and to differentiate
themselves from the "lay person," so they adopted rules of
latin that the average gal wouldn't understand. After hearing
that version of reality, I really began to accept some of
the evolutionary changes in our language as natural and
necessary... Margie.