Re: Conversion software

Subject: Re: Conversion software
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 17:20:36 -0800

At 2:20 PM 12/7/95, John Posada wrote:

>I'm aware of three softwares made just for conversion; DataViz Conversions
>Plus, MasterSoft Word for Word and Inso QuickView Plus.

>I'd like some input on preferences between those three, and suggestions for any
>others. Compatibility between Word and FrameMaker would be a major plus.
>Right now, as far as I can tell, Word for Word is the only one that handles
>FrameMaker MIF files.

I've had occasion to use Word for Word for a Frame 4 to Word 6 conversion.
It wasn't painless. One of the major problems is font changes -- it
appeared that Word for Word could only handle one font change per paragraph
(i.e., change *to* a different font but not change back *from* that font to
the default), so all bulleted paragraphs ended up entirely in symbol font.
And, if I remember correctly, all the stuff that was on the master page in
frame ended up at the beginning of the document in Word. It was, however,
much better than relying on rtf to do the same conversion.

I recall that MasterSoft was bought recently (by one of the biggies), and
the version I used is a couple of years old by now, so maybe things have
improved.

Hope this helps.

Sue Gallagher
Expersoft Corporation