Re: DOS Screen capture under Windows 95

Subject: Re: DOS Screen capture under Windows 95
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:15:14 -0500

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Carl Stieren wrote:

> I'm trying to capture screens from a DOS box under Windows 95,
> so I can convert the resulting bitmaps into grayscale or
> "lineart" bitmaps to include in a printed user's guide.

{...snip...}

> Now we're running Windows 95, and I can't grab screenshots with
> Alt+PrintScreen, save them as .BMP files and open them in
> Micrografx Designer's Photo Magic, and save them as "line art"
> bitmaps anymore.

> What happens is that they fill in what should be white with black.

> So ... I found what I thought was a solution.

> I used Micrografx Photo Magic, and under "Image/Effects", I increased
> both the brightness and the contrast by +2. This allowed me to, once
> again, save the bitmap as a "line art" bitmap, and we could print it
> in our User's Guide.

> Happiness? Not quite.

> For, alas, the size of the DOS Window in Win 95 had changed!

> The 6 x 12 DOS window (the smallest which gave us good resolution)
> is now 6.5 inches wide!

> Under Windows 3.11, the DOS Window was 5.5 inches wide.

> Our printed manual allows a maximum width of 6", since the book
> is 7" x 9"

> I tried Corel Draw's Photo Paint 4.0, and got acceptable line art
> b & w resolution, but there's still no solution to the size problem.

Try this:

Save the graphic from your paint program in the desired bitmap format.
Open a new document in Corel Draw. Import the graphic. Grab it and resize
as needed. Select the resized graphic and export it with a new name. Then
import this new graphic into your page publishing program.

OTOH, Why don't you simply save your graphic as an .EPS file and have your
page layout package rescale the it?

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851