Re: Much of the Net is Humor Impaired

Subject: Re: Much of the Net is Humor Impaired
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 16:46:00 PST

Donna dispenses sage wisdom thusly:

<<Face it. Much of the Net--and, sadly, it seems, most of the vocal portion
of
this list--is humor impaired.>>

I used to think this was just a manifestation of our list. After all, to use
intentional sexism and mis-quote some long-forgotten wise guy, "There is no
urge greater than the urge to mark up another writer's copy." So, when us
writers and editors see stuff that is easy to argue with, or take offense
to, or both, we do. Is it a cheap shot? Maybe. Is it ok? Probably. Is it
fun? Kinda. Which is the point of this post -- a plea for help.

At the risk of getting too off-topic, I'm writing up an article for the
local computer rag "Computer Bits" discussing how to get the most out of
joining a news list (like this one) and avoid getting flamed off of it. I'm
mentioning the following:

- the use of the signature line
- the art of the emoticon
- staying on topic
- avoiding all caps
- ignoring spam
- lurking vs. diving in
- waiting a day before sending out irrational stuff that makes you look
silly and hate to even open the mail (first hand experience there, sorry
George!)
- doing the "I agree" post with the original message intact

To bring this back full circle to the topic title, I will probably note that
the Internet is not a generally humorous place. If any of you can think of
something else vital, e-mail me privately unless you think it's of general
value. My 20,000-foot take on this article is that it is directed toward
people that now have e-mail and want to really get some value out of it. My
favorite anecdote I'll probably relate is when I once lurked through the
most fascinating discussion between two eminent scientists regarding the
Cretaceous extinction. Should round out the discussion of the dumber stuff
I've done.

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com

Much obliged, Granny.
You can pay me when you see me again, Josie Wales.
- The Outlaw Josie Wales