certification for tech writers

Subject: certification for tech writers
From: "Thomas F. Remington" <remingtf -at- DSSRV01 -dot- DS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 08:54:39 -0500

My $0.02:

Tech writing is not the first profession I've been in that hasn't had
certification and hasn't readily lent itself to certification. I used to do
user support for PC users. Another field where education didn't necessarily
make you ready to do your job, and where lack of education certainly didn't
necessarily disqualify you.

I got into tech writing when the company I work for did some internal hiring
of writers. They looked for folks who could write, think, and communicate.

Is certification possible? I doubt that any form of certification could
possibly cover all the aspects of being a good TW. My belief is that we
will/should continue to let our work speak for itself. I've built a good
reputation within my company, and _that_ is my certification. My clients,
peers, and readers like the work that I produce. _That_ is my certification.

On the other hand, there are those who are convinced - probably correctly -
that I am definitely certifiable. : )

__@ __@

Thom Remington
DuPont External Affairs Technical Publications
Wilmington, DE

Opinions expressed are mine; they have nothing whatever to do with what my
employer thinks or doesn't think.