Re: Electronic Review

Subject: Re: Electronic Review
From: Thomas Kolano <tkolano -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 17:02:10 CST

Regarding reviewing online copy, Gary Merrill writes:

> Some reviewers felt that having a paper copy of the document in
> addition to the electronic one was essential. I ascribe this partly
> to the fact that old habits die hard and partly to the very limited
> capabilities of BORED.

Clearly, there are advantages to eliminating paper in such a process.
However, in grad school we were made aware of studies which
demonstrated that electronic copy was much more straining and tiring
to read than hard copy. Unfortunately, I do not remember the authors
of these studies, but I agree with the conclusion from my own
experience. Isn't this still an accepted tenet? I prefer reading paper
copy, and would probably insist on the same as the reviewers above.

Tom Kolano
Deloitte & Touche
tkolano -at- dttus -dot- com