Re. PC Cards

Subject: Re. PC Cards
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:28:44 LCL

The old nomenclature was "PCMCIA" for "Personal Computer
Memory Card International Association", which is a bit of a
stretch even for the computer industry. Thus, some
enlightened folks decided (just over a year ago) that "PC
Card" was shorter and more elegant. Relatively speaking,

Someone noted that "PC Card" referred to any expansion card
and thus might be confusing. Not so. Expansion cards are
referred to as ISA, EISA, MCA, or PCI cards (for PCs) and
NuBus or PCI cards (for Macs), depending on which expansion
bus they use. There're equivalents for Suns etc., but I
don't know what they're called.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.

Previous by Author: Re. Keywords and resumes
Next by Author: Re. (Groan...) Gender neutral pronouns
Previous by Thread: Re: Help: "Increment" as verb
Next by Thread: Standard Information from Listowner

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads