Re: Help: "Increment" as verb

Subject: Re: Help: "Increment" as verb
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:59:23 -0600

Connie Winch wrote:

> I'm editing one of our manuals and have come across "increment" used as a
> verb. According to my American Heritage Dictionary, it's not a verb.
> However, I'm having a hard time thinking of a replacement. Any
> suggestions? It would be used in a sentence like this: "The software
> package automatically increments the transaction ID number after each
> entry."

Well, you learn something new every day. Increment is commonly used as a
verb in software documentation, and I had never questioned the usage
until I looked it up to confirm your post.

How about "The software package automatically increases the transaction
ID number by 1 [or, in increments of x, whatever the amount is] after
each entry."

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation svictor -at- compassnet -dot- com
15150 Memorial Drive http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
Houston, TX 77079 USA De gustibus non disputandum est