Help: "Increment" as verb

Subject: Help: "Increment" as verb
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:59:00 LCL

I'm editing one of our manuals and have come across "increment" used as a
verb. According to my American Heritage Dictionary, it's not a verb.
However, I'm having a hard time thinking of a replacement. Any
suggestions? It would be used in a sentence like this: "The software
package automatically increments the transaction ID number after each
entry."

|Connie E. Winch | Don't be so open-minded |
|Technical Writer | your brains fall out. |
|Macola Software | |
|cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com | -Unknown |