Re: translation questions

Subject: Re: translation questions
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 11:10:22 IST

I've seen several people argue that you shouldn't use contractions
in a manual that's targeted for translation. Why???
( - Sue Gallagher )

** I think it's an old spouses' tale. Supposedly our writing is
less ambiguous without contractions. (Does "Sue's sliced bread"
mean the sliced bread that belongs to Sue? Or has Sue sliced
some bread? Or is Sue, perhaps, herself sliced bread?) But I
think that anyone who's going to be confused by contractions
is going to experience plenty of confusion even without them.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||