email v. e-mail

Subject: email v. e-mail
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 11:14:29 IST

The closest thing to a pronunciation "rule" for vowel
length in English is that you divide the word into syllables (single
consonants between vowels go with the following syllable by default), then
vowels that end syllables are long. So you would expect the "e" in "email"
to be long.

I agree with Richard... ( - Tom Tadfor Little)

** Wha? But Es in Richard's examples are almost all unemphasized...
He mentions emaciate, emancipate, emarginate, emasculate, emanate,
emotion and emu. Only the emu gets its E emphasized like the one
in "email". And only an emu would pronounce "email" with the
E emphasized unless already familiar with the word as an exception.

To show that I mean no offense, I attach an emuticon: ):-)

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||