Certification Redux (short)

Subject: Certification Redux (short)
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 11:40:03 -0800

This is a quote from my husband (who's been through the ASE
certification process from its inception):

"Even with certification, dealer mechanics are viewed by dealer sales
management as a necessary evil (parallel to how TWs are viewed -- BG).
They refer to the service department as 'the back end.' This is
because they don't want to admit that the cars they sell need repair,
any more than the software companies want to admit that the software
they sell needs instructions."

Certification isn't going to fix this problem, which I think is more
pressing than our proving our abilities. We're simply not viewed as
contributing to the bottom line, and until we are, we're not going to
be viewed with respect or taken seriously as a profession, no matter
how many certificates we have.

I had to add this after talking to Steve over breakfast -- I think he
makes a good point.

Bonni Graham (owner) & Steve Trunk (VP of MIS)
Manual Labour
bonnig -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com