e-mail, e-jobs, e-cash, e-credit.....

Subject: e-mail, e-jobs, e-cash, e-credit.....
From: "Knox, Phebe" <pknox -at- CADMUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 11:52:50 EST

Keith Ivey posted a great catalog of common hyphenated
constructs in modern English, and would have utterly
convinced me that we should hyphenate e-mail except that I
was already convinced, and by his first argument. Namely,
that writers need to play with this construct in the current
explosion of growth of the Internet. They need to say not
just e-mail, but e-romance, e-notes, e-friends, and all the
other possibilities; and they will need that hyphen. Good
reason for keeping it. You don't want us to go back to using
the closed prefix "cyber" for all of that, do you?

Phebe Knox pknox -at- cadmus -dot- com