Certification

Subject: Certification
From: "Knox, Phebe" <pknox -at- CADMUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:27:53 EST

[11] From: Phebe Knox at cjs-balt 12/29/95 10:09AM (1482 bytes: 25 ln)
To: srm -at- c2 -dot- org at internet
Draft message
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
Richard Mateosian,

You've persuaded me. No certification. May as well try
to "certify" fiction writers next. Which is sort of what
novelist Steven King's college literature class instructor
tried to do, and King's been complaining about it ever
since. The instructor said writing wasn't about money or
popular acceptance, it was about (something self-centered, I
forget what, but King's description of this guy's
avant-guard plays in which everyone stood around mute are
amusing). King rather thought he was wrong. That's rather
clear from King's subsequent history. Success in the real
world is the appropriate criterion.

Don Martillotti's manager's internal dialogue, "Self, why
hire a certified writer at $45,000 when this uncertified
person seems to write perfectly well and will doubtless work
for less..." was charming, and Sue Gallagher's question
"what skill set" neatly encapsulated a LOT of text on the
problem of what would go in such a test.

There are a lot of good writers on this list! No need to
certify; I can tell who writes well by reading you.

Phebe Knox pknox -at- cadmus -dot- com