Re: Salaries

Subject: Re: Salaries
From: "Marvin W. Miller" <Marvin_Miller -at- SEC -dot- SEL -dot- SONY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 13:53:19 -0800

--part_AD07004E0143A9B400000003

Not here in the Silicon Gulch. Tech writing here can be fairly lucrative. $50
- $70 hour contract is not unusual for an experienced writer.

> Remember the recent posting about a TW job in Northern VA
> that commanded a tiny salary?

> Here's another, courtesy of the January _Capital Letter_
> (the newsletter of our friendly neighborhood STC chapter).

> "Technical Writer. To prepare finished correspondence, studies,
> and papers. Participates in developing technical publications
> and manuals that conform to U.S. Navy requirements. Applicants must
> be familiar with computer word processing and graphics software
> and have at last 2 years experience in a technical environment.
> This is a full-time position in Crystal City, Arlington, VA.
> [That's right across the river from Washington, DC. It is also
> close to the Pentagon.] Salary range is [drum roll]

> ********* $20,000 to $24,000 *********

> depending on qualifications and experience. If interested,
> please phone [name, company, phone number deleted]."

> This company also wants a tech. editor with a BS or BA and five
> years of experience. For this, the company will pay the munificent
> sum of $30,000 to $35,000.

> There were three other ads, and they didn't give their salary
> ranges. I sure hope they aren't that low, too.

> What in the heck is going on here? Have y'all noticed anything
> similar happening in your neck of the woods?

> Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
> mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
> (standard disclaimer)

--part_AD07004E0143A9B400000003

Marvin W. Miller
Supervisor, Technical Communications Group
Sony Systems Engineering Center - San Jose, CA
Ph 408-955-4251

Opinions expressed here probably differ from that of my
employer. If I ruffle your feathers, get mad at me - not Sony.
--part_AD07004E0143A9B400000003--