Re: hobbies & interests on resumes

Subject: Re: hobbies & interests on resumes
From: Anne Weiler <annew -at- CHANCERY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:32:16 -0700

In article <v02120d01ad07605c39e6 -at- [192 -dot- 231 -dot- 76 -dot- 51]>, "Susan W. Gallagher"
<sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com> wrote:

Susan W. Gallagher wrote:
> Although I have to admit that I've never trashed a resume because
> it *didn't* have a "hobbies" section, I have given second looks to
> otherwise unspectacular resumes when the hobbies or interests
> indicated an unusually good fit with other team members. But, on
> a cautionary note, I've also dismissed otherwise well-qualified
> applicants becausee their "hobbies and interests" indicated that
> they'd clash with current team members. (Ref: Bev's aversion to
> someone who'd claim trophy hunting as an interest).

Although it may not seem great for the candidates at first, you probably
did your team a big favour by not hiring the people who would clash. I've
got some really strong personalities on my team, and hobbies were
important when choosing candidates to interview. We previously had
personality clashes, and I wanted to avoid this again. (Not to say that
everyone's the same now....)

> Whether you choose to include a "hobbies" section in your resume
> depends on what your hobbies are and who your audience is. If your
> hobby, like Rick's, augments your job qualifications significantly,
> *of course* add it to your resume.

I personally believe that including hobbies on my resume has gotten me
some interviews. People are able to see that I'm a well rounded individual
(at least on paper). Also, I definitely look for some "personality" when
I'm reviewing resumes.

> If your lifestyle is a little off-mainstream, however, use caution
> when adding "hobbies and interests" to your resume -- unless you
> deliberately choose not to work for someone who would not accept
> your lifestyle choice. ;-) (for example, be sure you know what
> you're doing when you add "ride a Harley" or "volunteer evangelical
> minister" to your list of qualifications!)

Point taken. I have a friend who has a pretty humorous resume, and lists
"chasing cars" as one of his hobbies. He's a strong-willed individual who
firmly believes if people don't like his resume, he doesn't want to work
there.

<snip>

> Just a few thoughts...
Just a few more...