Re: Certification & improvement (longish)

Subject: Re: Certification & improvement (longish)
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:33:49 -0700

Arlen P. Walker, in his usual incisive style, points out some
waeknesses in my reasoning (Thanks!). Herewith are some patches: :-)

> Grant wrote:

> Karen-- you yourself provide an example of how "certification"
> would improve the field...by giving people a focus and a
> *minimum* set of standards for competency.

> But it's the definition of the word "minimum" that's the problem
> here. Define it low enough, and certification is valueless. When the
> bar is raised, it prevents people from entering the profession.
> Perhaps I'm just too cold-hearted, but I think people who hire
> low-quality producers deserve to fail,
[snip]

I agree that "minimums" are problematic. IMHO *all* standards are so.
That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have them, or that they should be
set in stone. I also agree that low-value products deserve to find
their own level. However, I think that setting a standard that weeds
out the worst of the "wanna-be's" is not a bad thing. Given (and this
is an assumption - the parental unit of all screw-ups) that a
significant number of managers and hiring types are *not qualified*
(and that's a whole 'nother issue) to judge minimal competency, and as
a result lump the good in with the awful, setting a standard is *one*
way to improve the general opinion of the profession.

> A large number of us who would
> (presumably) be grandfathered in would not be able to pass the
> test(s), were we required to take it/them. There will be
> slackers, ne'er-do-wells, and incompetents in our ranks, just
> as there are in all professions and trades.

> I guess then I don't see the point of adding the extra burden of
> certification. If certification will truly not serve to improve the
> profession, why bother with it?

I think that it *will* improve the profession.. I just don't think
that it is a panacea.

> I don't believe that it will reduce the number of
> practitioners, for there is no way to fully close the door (or
> ring of fire <g>), and insist that documentation can only be
> produced by accredited writers (or editors, or illustrators),
> as there is no way to sanction those who choose not to use our
> services. Certification must (for the most part) become an
> assurance of value added; those who do not wish the assurance
> of that value, that warrantee, will hire elsewhere.

> Make up your mind, Grant. Either certification is minimal, as your
> first statement implied, or it's an assurance of extra value, as you
> seem to be saying here. It cannot be both.

Why not? In the first part I am stating what it should be
in an initial state;in the second, I am describing what I think it
should become. The two, in my mind, are not mutually exclusive.

An analogy: spelling and grammer checkers are not perfect,
but I bet most of us use them as at least a first pass filter
for correctness.

Thanks for bringing these points up, and allowing me to clarify
my thoughts on this matter.

Grant

Grant Hogarth, Information Developer
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT
www.onyxgfx.com ftp.onyxgfx.com
#include <std_disclaim>

"People forget how fast you did a job --
they remember how well you did it."
-- Howard W. Newton