Re[2]: Certification & improvement (longish)

Subject: Re[2]: Certification & improvement (longish)
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 15:08:00 -0600

Given (and this
is an assumption - the parental unit of all screw-ups) that a
significant number of managers and hiring types are *not qualified*
(and that's a whole 'nother issue) to judge minimal competency, and
as a result lump the good in with the awful, setting a standard is *
one* way to improve the general opinion of the profession.

And there's the nub of our disagreement. Who are you (who am I, who are
we?) to decide a hiring manager isn't competent?

Why not? In the first part I am stating what it should be
in an initial state;in the second, I am describing what I think it
should become. The two, in my mind, are not mutually exclusive.

What it will become? I've already sent something in about what *I* think
it will become, and it ain't pretty.

Thanks for bringing these points up, and allowing me to clarify
my thoughts on this matter.

Thanks for not being offended. (There's been a lot of that on this list,
lately.)

The bottom line is the dilemma about where to set the Certification bar.
Too low, and it serves no purpose and it may as well not exist. Too high
and it excludes too many otherwise qualified people. Our difference is
based on the fact that you think there's a height which is high enough to
avoid the first but still low enough to avoid the second. I don't.

You're willing to admit that the certification process will tighten up as
it advances. (At least that's what I'm getting from your "what it will be"
statement.) Thanks for the concession to reality. I agree; I think it
will, too. Unacceptably. Even providing an acceptable level for the bar
could be found now.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124