Re: Numerals and Bullets

Subject: Re: Numerals and Bullets
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 09:28:54 -0600

At 07:49 AM 1/5/96 -0600, Elizabeth Carmack wrote:
> ... But what if the number is
>linked to a particular measurement, like miles, cubic inches, etc.?
> ... I think writing "a
>1-cubic-inch tube" or "a 3-mile-radius" looks funny. What is the
>consensus out there?

Use numerals with measurements, lose that second
hyphen, and use abbreviations that are standard for
your industry. For example, we would write
1-in.^3 tube 3-mile radius

(BTW, our first reference for style is the _Society of Petroleum
Enginners Publications Style Guide_.)

>And a question on bullets: When using a bulleted list, is it proper
>to capitalize the first letter of the first word in each item even if
>they are not complete sentences?

I don't think you'll find consensus on that one. I think it is
OK, IMHO.

>And what about punctuation? I say
>semicolons to separate them if they are complete sentences and commas
>if they are not. Thanks for your comments.

I say periods at the end of the sentences if they are
sentences, and no punctuation if they are not. The
bulleted list itself serves the same purpose that a comma
would.

LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
You are invited to browse our web site: http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.