Re: TW on the development team

Subject: Re: TW on the development team
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 07:22:09 PST

Stuart Reynolds writes:

>Funny too, is that most writers I have interacted with, that didn't want
>to have much if anything to do with the programmers, is because of the
>programmers' attitudes. The main one being that if you can' t
>understand what they are talking about, you don't deserve to live, or at
>the least, be in *their* presence.

Many engineers were apparently raised by wolves. Such engineers'
basic reaction to things they don't understand is to declare them
"irrelevant," and snub both the task and those who perform it, which
is hardly the act of a civilized being. (I take it back -- they
were apparently raised by *dysfunctional* wolves.)

Writers need to add "Are the engineers grown-ups? Do they have
enough socialization to cope with the ordinary demands of their
profession?" to their list of things to evaluate when considering
a new employer.

(There are, believe it or not, plenty of gracious, civilized engineers
out there. But they aren't evenly distributed.)

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139