Re: Difference between editor and manager

Subject: Re: Difference between editor and manager
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 16:57:02 -0700

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, David Dubin wrote:

> Patty Ewy asks about the difference between an editor and manager's job roles.

> "who mentors writers?"
> Traditionally, senior writers and editors mentor writers. Managers cannot
> (should not) mentor writers unless they thoroughly understand the
documentation
> process and have a good grasp of communications theory.

Oof. I disagree with one thing. I don't think managers should ever fancy
themselves mentors. Since the manager's job is to judge the employee and
their work, a healthy mentoring relationship is impossible. For instance:
I'm much less likely to display my ignorance if it might affect my chances
for a raise or promotion. But it needs to be displayed so that I can learn.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |